Itach-Ma’aki helps kindergarten and school teaching assistants by providing legal counselling and representation in Court in cases of violations. The Association works with groups of teaching assistants in the public and legal spheres to improve their rights and status in all educational systems.
Over many years of activity, the Association has accompanied and represented diverse groups of teaching assistants employed under various employment regimes:
Teaching Assistants Employed in Educational Non-official Institutions
Teaching assistants employed in non-officially recognized educational institutions often suffer from gross violations of protective laws, such as the withholding of wages and failure to pay provisions for pension, as well as discriminatory conditions compared with teaching assistants employed in official institutions.
In cases of violations of the law, we provide legal support and representation in claims filed against the employers.
- Further information about the Association’s request to join the National Labor Court as a “Friend of the Court” for comparing the conditions of teaching assistants in the Amal Network Read more
- Information regarding Court judgments in claims filed on behalf of Ultra-Orthodox teaching assistants against Agudath Israel and the Ministry of Education Read more
- Information regarding claims filed on behalf of kindergarten teachers and teaching assistants against the “Shaarei Zion” kindergarten network Read more
- Link to Liat Schlesinger’s article “To be an Assistant or not to be” on The Hottest Place in Hell website, that deals with the claim filed by the Ultra-Orthodox teaching assistants against the Agudat Israel network
Assistants Employed by Official Institutions
In the summer of 2011, under an atmosphere of protest, teaching assistants at municipal kindergartens approached Itach-Ma’aki and asked for help in establishing a nationwide organization of teaching assistants for the purpose of improving and obtaining their rights as education professionals. Although they are a large group and play a key role in educating children, teaching assistants have always been and still are neglected, with almost total disregard, by the Histadrut, the Ministry of Education and local government. Together with teaching assistant leadership from all over the country, we act on various levels in the Knesset, the Histadrut, the Ministry of Education and local government, organizing conferences to raise awareness. We also actively fight for the rights and interests of diverse groups of teaching assistants, such as individual teaching assistants for children with special-needs and medical-needs, kindergarten teaching assistants and others.
Off the Press – Teaching Assistants Fight Back
- Ofra Sarid’s article “And where is our responsibility?” on the subject of medical-needs teaching assistants, on The Hottest Place in Hell website – 12.05.14
- Ruth Amir’s article “Who Will Assist the Assistants” about the struggle of individual special-needs teaching assistants, on The Hottest Place in Hell website – 11.05.14
- Liat Schlesinger’s “To be an Assistant or not to be” that deals with the claim filed by the Ultra-Orthodox teaching assistants against the Agudat Israel network, on The Hottest Place in Hell website – 11.02.14
- Or Kashti’s article on the “National Alliance of Teaching Assistants, published in Haaretz’s “The Week” supplement 18.8.12
- Billy Moscona Lerman’s article about the “Substitute mother” practice (8.6.12) that we are working to end
Attorney Osnat Ziv